Dondakaya Pappu/Tindora Dal - South Indian authentic healthy way of making dal with tindoora
Dondakaya Pappu/Tindora Dal is a South Indian authentic healthy way of making delicious dal with moong dal and dondakaya. It can be served with both rice or roti.
Cuisine: Indian Course: Main Serves: 4
Prep Time: 5 Min Cook Time: 20 Min Total Time: 25 min .
Nutritional Info: Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
Calories: 141 Carbs: 22g. Fat: 3g. Protein: 4g
2 Teaspoons Ghee
1 Cup Tondakaya
1 1/2 Cup Moong Dal
2 Teaspoons Oil
1 Chopped Tomato
1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Jeera
1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
Few Methi Seeds
Few Curry Leaves
3-4 Dry Red Chili Powder
1. Heat 1 teaspoon ghee and add 1 cup dondakaya. Sauté until it changes color and once it's lightly brown take it aside.
2. Dry roast 1 1/2 cup moong dal and roast until the dal is slightly brown. Take it aside.
3. In a pressure cooker add 2 teaspoons of oil and add 1 teaspoon jeera, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 4 garlic cloves, 4-5 green chilies. Sauté for a minute.
4. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 chopped tomato, and cook until tomatoes are soft.
5. Add 1 teaspoon salt and mix well.
6. Once the tomatoes are soft add the tindora and mix well. Add 1 teaspoon red chili powder and add the moong dal. Sauté for a minute and add 2 1/2 cups of water.
7. Close the lid and pressure cook it up to 2 whistles.
8. After 2 whistles let it cool down and then remove the lid. If the dal is too thick add 1 cup of water. Cook it for 1 minute.
9. Heat 1 teaspoon ghee and add 1 teaspoon jeera, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, few methi seeds, few curry leaves, 3-4 red chilies, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. Sauté for a minute and turn off the stove.
10. Now add the tadka to dal and turn off the stove.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy with roti or rice.
Watch the Video for Procedure: