Pappu Charu (Lentil Soup)
Pappu charu is a traditional dish originating from the south Indian region of Andhra Pradesh. This fragrant tamarind and lentil soup are slowly simmered with a variety of vegetables. Pappu charu goes well with side dishes such as chutneys, vegetable stir-fries, pickles, and omelets.
Cuisine: Indian Course: Main Serves: 4
Prep Time: 5 Min Cook Time: 20 Min Total Time: 25 min .
Nutritional Info: Serving Size: 1 Cup
Calories: 150 Carbs: 29g. Fat: 2g. Protein: 9g
1 Cup Toor Dal
1/2 Teaspoons Turmeric Powder
1/2 Chopped Onion
1 Small Tomato
5 Green Chilies
1 Cup Sorakaya
1 Cup Carrots
Few Curry Leaves
1 Cup Tamarind Water
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 Teaspoon Jeera
1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
Few Red Chilies
1 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Teaspoons Salt
A piece of Jaggery
1. Add 1 cup toor dal in a pressure cooker, wash the dal, and add water. Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and pressure cook up to 2 whistles.
2. Once the pressure releases take out the lid. Mash the dal and keep it aside.
3. Cut the onions, tomato, green chilies, carrots, sorakaya, few curry leaves and keep them aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and add 1 teaspoon jeera, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, a few red chilies, all chopped vegetables. Sauté well.
5. Close the lid and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste and mix well.
6. Add 1 cup tamarind water, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons salt, a piece of jaggery, and boil it for 2 minutes.
7. Add mashed toor dal, 1 cup water. Mix well and boil it for 3 minutes.
8. Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and turn off the stove.
Watch the Video for Procedure: